When do God’s people turn to Him? While we desire to cling to Him at all times, it is in times of trouble that this desire becomes a compelling need – a need to cry out to Him for deliverance, to ask Him to show us where we have sinned and turned from His righteous ways, to seek His forgiveness, and to learn from Him how to correct those things that separate us from His heart, and divide us from one another.
The world is in a season of distress. How shall we get through this trying time?
Many around the world, both from the Christian and the Jewish sides of Israel’s covenant family, are sensing the need to cry out to the Lord God in this season. As a way to enter into this process, B’ney Yosef North America is observing the week of July 5-11, 2020, as a time of fasting and repentance for our sins of division, discord, injustice, and failure to walk together in love.
Why now? It is a lesson we have learned from our Jewish brethren at this time. July 9 is the 17th day of the Hebrew month of Tammuz, the Fast of the Fourth Month of Zechariah 8:19. This fast day begins a time known as the Dire Straits, a three week period ending on the 9th of Av, the Fast of the Fifth Month. This was the time the Babylonians breached the walls of Jerusalem and destroyed the Temple of God, removing His visible presence from His holy city, devastating the land He cares for, and dispersing His covenant people of Israel to the nations. Ever since then, Jews have fasted and mourned, not merely for themselves as a people, but for the nations of the earth, to whom Israel is a witness of the Most High God.
Our call for prayer and fasting in this week of 17 Tammuz is the beginning of a season of repentance from now until Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, on September 28, 2020. We are joining with other prayer initiatives throughout this season, and we invite you to do the same.
Do we truly want to see our Father’s Kingdom come and His will done on earth as it is in heaven? Then let us humble our hearts, bow our knees, and seek Him together.
Prayer and Repentance Initiatives
- 17 Tammuz Call for Prayer and Repentance, July 5-11, 2020. Call for all of God’s covenant people to enter into fasting and repentance at the beginning of the Dire Straits. B’ney Yosef North America (bneyyosefna.com).
- Nations’ 9th of Av Virtual Solemn Assembly, July 29-30, 2020. Time of mourning and fasting in solidarity with our Jewish brothers and sisters on the Fast of the Fifth month. Nation’s 9th of Av (9-av.com).
- 40 Days of Repentance, August 19-September 28, 2020. Daily pause for prayer and reflection during the weeks leading up to Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. B’ney Yosef North America (bneyyosefna.com).
- 10 Days of Prayer, September 19-28, 2020. A Global Upper Room calling on cities to stop for United Prayer and Worship with Repentance during the Days of Awe. 10 Days (10days.net).
- The Return, September 26, 2020. National and Global Day of Prayer and Repentance on the National Mall, Washington, DC. The Return (www.thereturn.org).